Page 10 of 153 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: V8pop's V8pop

Thanks for the encouragement lads, here's to a dry week-end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Tiles, Nahh Do It Yourself I would say

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Nice thought Mike, but I want to drive the Pop not wear it. LOL

Cheers. Tim W.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

Sunday morning looked quite good (in comparison to Saturday) so I decided to take a chance at getting the brackets fabbed to the chassis.
    So off with the wet cover!

Un-clamped the 4 bar mountings.

Then prepped them ready for fitting.

Did the same with the coil-over mount brackets.

Prepped them as well.

Got the welder out and I’m ready for off.

All tacked in place, checked and ready for final welding.

And there we have it another bit of rough welding to clean up next week-end… if it’s dry!

Now got to sort some chassis boxing plates from the cross member to the 4 bar bracket, chop out some clearance for the steering drag link and take the end off the chassis rails where they interfere with the front wing flange. That’s me for now.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 20-07-10 at 02:16 PM.
    They say "life's a Crap Shoot" - Sure would be nice to have some Shoot for a change !!

My Pop My Intro

looks like its coming on great great photos its a great thread to follow keep up the good work

Nice one Tim, glad to see your still braving the weather and making good progress,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

IT'S ALL GOOD IN THE HOOD

I thought I would give you a report from the frozen extremities of North Beds. It’s not so much of a progress report, as a slowgress report !!
    I had made a couple of card templates for boxing plates from the cross member to the 4 bar mounting.

So I got out a bit of 3mm zintec and marked them out (with me gloves on).

Chopped them out, no problem

And folded the end to suit.

The only problem being that the Pop cover is frozen (and has been for some time) so I can’t fold it back to trial fit etc. and it looks as if that’s going to be the way of it for some considerable time. So I’ve decided to give it best and get on with the bathroom until the conditions become a little more clement.
    It looks as if I will have to make do with reading the reports from you garage owners until Spring!!

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 20-07-10 at 02:17 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Hi Tim,

Great progress considering your working in a fridge, just an observation but you must be the only one without any snow in your back garden

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to stay warm reading any of my reports, as my Pop is frozen in Odiham and it looks as though I won't be able to visit tomorrow (third time now)

Good luck with the decorating, and I hope the summer is long and hot for you (and for me as well )

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

Quote Originally Posted by Rover V8 View Post
    Hi Tim,

Great progress considering your working in a fridge, just an observation but you must be the only one without any snow in your back garden

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to stay warm reading any of my reports, as my Pop is frozen in Odiham and it looks as though I won't be able to visit tomorrow (third time now)

Good luck with the decorating, and I hope the summer is long and hot for you (and for me as well )

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Well noticed Mike, those photos were during those few clear days after Christmas, I got plenty now and no sign of it going either. Same problem as me then even with a garage mate, we'll both have to rely on the other guy's to keep us going!

Thanks, let's hope for a good warm dry year!

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

Images

Smile

Tim
    What part of bedfordshire are you in?

Stu
    Life's to short Drive a Hot Rod

great work Tim, I don't know how you do it, I struggle to get enough enthusiasm to go out to the garage let alone outside!! Keep it up it might just rub off!!

Thumbs up

Been their on that one tim feel for ya this time of year but any progress is good liking your work and how the pops coming along build a igloo over it and work in their
    Adie

hi tim see you are still turning out some great work ,as for the cold you could put in under ground heating so it would heat up under the cover and stop it freezing.and warm it up ready for work .hope the weather changes soon.keep up the great work will be great to see when finished

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Flitton View Post
    Tim
    What part of bedfordshire are you in?

Stu
    4 miles north of Bedford - Milton Ernest - The A6 cuts it in half!!

Thanks for the comments lads - Roll on Spring!!

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 11-01-10 at 11:33 AM.

My Pop My Intro

Well, the bathroom’s done and it had stopped raining so I ventured out on Saturday to lift the cover for the first time this year! I know 2 months in and I’ve done fak all.

There she is…

Luckily it’s all still under there.

The four bars etc. have got a bit of surface rust on them but nothing too serious. I had planned to have it all painted before winter but, hey ho, no plans perfect.

Once I’d remembered where I was up to I bolted the front end on. For the first time in 3 years she had a wheel on each corner and was standing up taking her own weight.

Chassis’s level.

Body’s level.

So I rolled her back and forward a couple of times to celebrate.

We had another light shower, but not enough to stop me now I was on a roll.

I am still a bit concerned about arch clearance so I up the coilover length ready to fit the wings on. If I stay at that height I will have to change the panhard rod mounting again to get it level at ride height.

I bolted the wings on and started to shape the passenger side inner wing to go round the coilover mount.

Then the heavens opened. I had enough time to get a quick photo prior to covering her up and quickly putting my water logged grinder away.

So that’s where I left her on Saturday, I was still raining Sunday at mid-day so we gave it best and went out. More when I do more.

Cheers. Tim W
    Last edited by v8pop; 20-07-10 at 02:21 PM.

My Pop My Intro

Thumbs up

Thats sitting nice tim weather should turn for the better soon and the lighter nights are coming so should make it better for you I usedto have all my tools in a wheelbarrow when the heavens open no running about picking tools up just pick it up and wheel it in
    keep at it ticking the jobs off the list
    Adie

looking good tim but the weather not playing ball .still as ade says should be getting better and a bit warmer so save your energy till then keep the pics coming enjoying this as it shows it can be done with out a garage well done mate

Hi Tim,
    She's looking real good on the wheels, glad to see your starting to get back to it, really hope we have a good summer so that you can make the most of it,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build

Thanks for the comments lads - It was good to get out there again and yep, I am looking forward to the better weather.

Nice idea about the barra' Adie, that's another idea from the forum I think I'll use mate.

Cheers. Tim W.

My Pop My Intro

I had quite a few chores to do at the week-end but I was able to get a bit of play time with the Pop.

This is the roughly chopped (now dry) inner wing for the passenger side.

This is how it looks bolted in.

With what I’d learnt on the passenger side I quickly cut a better fitting (read less repair work) drivers side inner wing.

That’s how she looks from the front prior to fitting the grill.

That’s the grill on.

And from the front.

I have ended up with 4 3/4” clearance.

From the side this is how the tyre fills the arch, as you can see I have 10 degrees of lock – Not Ideal.

Then I adjusted the coilover height to how I originally wanted it with 4” of clearance. This I can see now is way too much tyre in the arch!

So after ½ an hour of “Paintshop Pro” this is how I need to profile the front wings to allow for some turning circle.

So what ever time I can snatch next week-end will be spent turning her round to sort out some steering.

Cheers. Tim W.
    Last edited by v8pop; 20-07-10 at 02:24 PM.

My Pop My Intro

geeeez thought mine was tight sit in the arches nice you gonna cut the front wings ? are you going to use the wing/light supports still stop the wings bouncing about may raise the wing a tad with them on
    like em low
    Adie

Hi Tim,

Great progress, they look much better once the sheet metal is on

Shame about the wing clearance issues. Just a thought, when your on full lock youll need at least 2" clearance to stop you bashing the wing if you have to go up a kerb for example ??

Wouldn't want to see that happen.

You probably have considered this, but thought I would say just in case,

Keep up the great work,

Cheers,
    Mike C.
    Mikes V8 Pop build