Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Print Mags

NSRA member

No Print Mags

Read David Freiburger's post on Book Face - all but a few titles such as Hot Rod will from now on be only available in electronic format.....

Gutted.

I've worked in the mag writing/snapping business for over 20-years and this is very bad news - I love the excitment of getting my Street Rodder/Hot Rod Deluxe/etc fix in paper format; somehow it's simply real as opposed to virual....

And Graham aka Magseller, I know he'll survive but it really isn't good is it?

Not a nice Christmas present!
    Jon

Images

I'm not a big quantity magazine buyer Jon,but i am feeling the pain there,especially for collectors

NSRA member
    Not good, I still like a printed magazine, always will.

NSRA member
    I’d say the world is still a long, long way from going paper free in the magazine department. Just look how many are stocked in the average WH Smith’s, there must be at least 200 different magazines on the shelves, and a good percentage of those are about motoring in one form or another.

The only time I use magazines or books myself nowadays is when I’m in the bath, everything else comes on my iPad.
    Polygamy is having more wives than you really need.
    Monogamy is essentially much the same thing.

NSRA member
    Gotta say, my business survival is very uncertain..lot of thinking going on.

Anyone want to be magseller ?
    LONG LIVE PRINT; Lots of new-old-stock back-issues in stock. Updating website almost every day !!www.americanautomags.com

If that's progress, it sucks. I haven't been a fan of Hot Rod for a long time and the articles in Street Rodder were all focused on their 'tours' when last I tried it. Neither were what they were in the 60's and 70's. Hot Rod Deluxe on the other hand I will greatly miss.

If anyone has read Tex Smith's book he gives a very insightful look into the world of magazine publishing. The bean counters rule the roost dictating the content.

There's a lesson here. If you love your Custom Car etc magazines keep buying and subscribing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using NSRA mobile app
    Rome wasn't burned in a night

Hope it works out for you Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by Magseller View Post
    Gotta say, my business survival is very uncertain..lot of thinking going on.

Anyone want to be magseller ?

NSRA member
    Just a thought, what happens to your electronic publication in cases of no power? Yep, your tablet, phone or whatever will run on batteries but when they've expired, what happens then? Imagine the scenario of the 1970s and power cuts etc hmm.....

You could always print it off as soon as you receive it.........
    Quote Originally Posted by 67 cortina wagon View Post
    Just a thought, what happens to your electronic publication in cases of no power? Yep, your tablet, phone or whatever will run on batteries but when they've expired, what happens then? Imagine the scenario of the 1970s and power cuts etc hmm.....

NSRA member
    Just so everyone knows, there was no warning, no notice, just the announcement and that's it, all gone.
    I only knew because a customer sent me David Friedberger's statement.
    I contacted my distributor in the States, who said 'you must be mistaken, I've got the print schedules for 2020
    and he actually sent me some of the dates'. He had had no notice either.

Where do we go from here? At the moment, I don't really know what to do, what I can do.The thinking cap is definitely on !!
    LONG LIVE PRINT; Lots of new-old-stock back-issues in stock. Updating website almost every day !!www.americanautomags.com

Images
    Just so everyone knows, there was no warning, no notice, just the announcement and that's it, all gone.
    I contacted my distributor in the States, who said 'you must be mistaken, I've got the print schedules for 2020

Where do we go from here? At the moment, I don't really know what to do, what I can do.The thinking cap is definitely on !!
    I'm sure you will survive Graham. Plenty of hot rod mags in the world apart from the US

Who cares If It's glass or steel, It's still a hot rod.

NSRA member
    Apalling behaviour but that's the publishing world; the bigger the company the more they treat everyone with contempt - even the people that work for them.....

Fingers crossed for you. I hope that it all works out.

NSRA member
    Thanks Graham, not looking forward to the next few months.

I only read printed mags, I'm not interested reading them online either tbh as i spend too much time in front of a screen as it is. I think its a sad day they have gone and think its the wrong decision. Terrible behaviour too by the publisher but understand why they would do that.

Your emotions will always interfere with your sense of truth

NSRA member
    A friend of mine, who is a successful businessman said he thought this was the accountants saying to the bosses of the publishers that this business model wasn't working
    and they reacted by chopping the mags immediately. A lot of wholesalers/retailers are going to suffer, not to mention all the readers/customers..

A friend of mine, who is a successful businessman said he thought this was the accountants saying to the bosses of the publishers that this business model wasn't working
    and they reacted by chopping the mags immediately. A lot of wholesalers/retailers are going to suffer, not to mention all the readers/customers..
    Thinking of you both Graham. it's easy to say **** happens but when it has such a bearing on someone you've known for a long time it's different. All I can say is think hard and explore all avenues. Best wishes. Dave
    ...but is it steel?

NSRA member
    Images
    Let's all suppport Graham buy subscribing to the magazines that are still going, my order just placed.
    I am sure I will find others to buy at events if Graham is there. I won't be buying anything from the Street Rodder publishers electronically or in print.
    I have tried on digital versions of magazines and it just isn't for me, I suspect a lot of the digital versions of the magazines that have stopped print versions will go too. Street Rodder has been going down hill for a while with less pages and higher prices through my local news agent.
    If Speed and Kulture is as good as hoped and goes to edition 2 I'll subscibe to that too.
    Graham has supported us so let's pay him back!

Anyone ever picked up an old electronic mag to thumb through? Ever skimmed through the contents section of a pile of electronic mag looking for a specific car or article?
    Galations 6:7

NSRA member
    I never have Kev , always love looking through old magazines for that one article.